Are you one of those who thinks that a simple gesture can help keep the environment in better condition for longer? For those people who have just become parents, buying the best eco-friendly diapers will not only mean significant savings in the acquisition of this type of essential products for the care of their little one, but you will also be helping mother nature, making your child in the future can enjoy it as it is now, or much better.
To help you in this tyrannical task, you will have at your disposal a comparison of the best ecological diapers on the market, as well as objective opinions about them; Then, you can find a buying guide with practical tips to make the best purchase possible, or at least the one that best suits your needs.
Quick Navigation to The 5 Best Eco-friendly Diapers:
- Andy Pandy Eco-Friendly Premium Bamboo Disposable Diapers
- Bambo Ecological Disposable Diapers
- Pingo Biodegradable Diapers
- Bambo Nature Eco-Friendly Baby Diapers
- Reusable Baby Cloth Pocket Diapers
Here are the Review of the 5 Best Eco-friendly Diapers
When it comes to choosing natural diapers, the Eco-Friendly Premium Bamboo Disposable Diapers from Andy Pandy is one of the best choices in the market. This is because of the many benefits it can offer both to your baby and also to the environment. More than that, your baby will surely feel ease and comfort with Andy Pandy because of its comfort and breathability features. This is why; no matter what are the moves of your baby, comfort is still possible without the feeling of hotness.
Another useful feature of this natural diaper is its wetness indicator. Well, for mommies who are doing multiple jobs aside from taking good care of their infants, this is for you. With its wetness indicator, identifying if you need to change your diaper is now an easy task. Just take a look at its yellow strips as they will turn into bluish green because it is a clear sign that your diaper is already wet.
For many diapers, an odor is also an issue most especially if the diaper is already wet. However, this diaper is quite different as it offers an odor-resistant feature. This will keep your baby from having a bad smell.
Made with safe and natural ingredients, this diaper offers quality which will help you save money at the same time. More than that, it is safe to use so your baby could able to enjoy this diaper while reducing the pollution in the environment.
- No leaks.
- No odor.
- Good quality best natural diapers.
- New-born size is a bit big.
A great and economical option if what you are looking for are ecological diapers that, at the same time, can be disposed of, in such a way that, although they cannot be reused, they are much less damaging to the environment.
One of its main attractions is that it does not include any chemical product that can damage, even slightly, the health of the baby. On the other hand, they guarantee total freedom of movement for the baby, being tight, but in no case heavy or uncomfortable.
It has a great variety of sizes, it is only about finding the one that best suits your baby’s needs, in such a way that, since there are so many, it is somewhat complex that you cannot find the most suitable one. The only downside is that, unlike most non-ecological disposable diapers, you can only buy packs of 30 units, no more, no less.
- Chemical-free: the few chemicals it contains are not at all harmful to the baby’s health.
- Wide variety of sizes: you can choose from a large number of different sizes, so that you are sure to find the perfect one for your baby.
- Can’t buy more than 30 units pack
Pingo is one of the best-known diaper brands, which has been putting products on the market for years with excellent results, therefore, it is revealed as a safe option that guarantees high quality.
Its main peculiarity is that they are totally biodegradable, and to certify it, it has the endorsement of different institutions, such as MyClimate. It does not include chemical substances that harm, neither in the short nor in the long term, the health of the baby or your own.Its great absorption capacity stands out, without a doubt, much higher than the average in this type of product. The worst part, without a doubt, is the price, perhaps somewhat higher than the average, although totally justified by the quality of the product. In addition, there is only the possibility of acquiring the almost 90 diapers that the pack offers, without the possibility of acquiring a smaller one.
- Biodegradable: they are totally ecological, as certified by up to 3 different associations.
- Very absorbent: they have an absorption capacity that is above the average for this type of product.
- The price: when sold in a pack with so many units, the starting price is somewhat higher than what you could find in other types of brands, although it is justified by the quality of them.
Other diapers of the Bambo brand, in this case totally ecological as well as disposable, a differential fact that helps us explain the reason for its cheap price.
It has a whole series of elastic bands that allow the baby to move like a fish in water in any type of context, being the freedom of movement a very remarkable advantage of this product.
It handles a fairly high age range, in such a way that it can be used by all those babies who exceed 26 pounds, but who, nevertheless, do not reach 48.
On the other hand, it is a surprisingly light product, even when wet it does not weigh at all, something really positive depending on what type of tools.
The only downside that I see them is that they are somewhat complex to change since they will cost you a little effort each time, although, to tell the truth, this is a defect that the baby does not suffer from.
- Lightweight: they really weigh little, which gives the creature a lot of freedom of movement.
- High age range: they can be used from 26-49 lbs, a fairly wide fork.
- Difficult to change: they cost a little to change, it will take you a little longer than the average.
Its main point in favor is that, in addition to being made of super soft material, they are reusable, so that you do not have to worry about buying diapers on a monthly basis.
Like many others, it is a one size fits all, although it can be adjusted to your liking so that it will be easy to find the size that fits your baby.
Although they withstand the successive washes that can be done quite well, the materials are not of great quality, in such a way that they can end up suffering from the passage of time.
- Reusable: they are totally reusable as well as fabric, a not particularly common combination in this type of product.
- Economic: when buying a pack of 9 units, the price per unit becomes much cheaper than the average.
- Material qualities: they are rather medium-range materials that will wear out with the passage of time faster than usual.
How To Buy The Eco-friendly Diapers?
A few months ago I had tried with the girl, using them for a while and doing absorption tests with liquid, the eco-friendly diapers undoubtedly won. But it is true that these diapers play in another league, for price and quality, so since I am a woman of science and I like empirical results, I wanted to do the comparison again but now only with ecological diapers from different brands, to see if our old winners revalidated the title or if there really wasn’t much difference in these types of diapers.
What if I have to tell you that I have learned a lot in this study, not only from the materials and that although several have the words “Bio” or “Eco” there are several differences between them.
Think that diapers are something that we are going to use for a long time, they can be two to three years, constantly, and in many of them, we find substances that are not very recommended to be in contact with the baby’s skin, which can cause irritations, dermatitis, redness and discomfort. Substances such as Chlorine, Dioxins, Perfumes or even Pesticides.
And the important part is no longer only in the baby’s skin, when we talk about ecological diapers they are also sustainable, both in the bag and packaging and in the materials themselves, the forests from which they come out and that degrade in less time, they decompose in 5-7 years, compared to the 300 that can remain on the planet each normal disposable diaper.
Disposable Ecological Diapers
Something that you have to take into account when you go to buy a diaper for your baby is durability and resistance to humidity. That is, when you put it on the little one, how long will it take for it to be noticed that it is wet and therefore you should replace it with another. Many diapers will last just a few hours, but as you can see in our list, there are models that are capable of resisting more than 12 hours as long as it is liquid and not solid waste, since, if it is the latter, It is advisable to change them at the moment so that you do not suffer infections.
The best thing about these is that once you use them, you will be able to throw them in the trash and they will decompose faster than any other diaper, something that will be of special importance for nature since if you think about it In a large number of products of this type that are thrown away daily and that goes to landfills, the conventional ones can take many years to decompose, it is worth making the effort, since in the long run you will get much cheaper, both for the health of your baby and for the environment, since it will not have so much waste.
Eco-friendly Cloth Diapers
On the other hand, we have a product that is being used more and more and that its users are being fascinated by the ease and saving of money that they are having. We are talking about ecological cloth diapers, these types of products are very interesting since they are reusable, so once you buy one or two packages, you can use it throughout the baby stage until you get rid of the diapers and know how to go to the toilet by yourself without risk of leaks. This is achieved above all because it has a series of snaps that will be readjusted and that at no time will cause harm to the baby, so, you will not have to worry about looking at the sizes or the weight, you will simply have to check that they are clean to change again.
Perhaps one of the details of these products is that they are not as absorbent as those that we have previously described, although they have an absorption area that is changed to wash them and that does not stain the fabric and can last longer, it is It is important to know that you will need to change it more times a day, although as we have mentioned, looking at the savings you are going to have, it is something that you will not care too much about.
It is true that in these cases you must buy other types of products apart, such as containers to be able to keep diapers away from other clothes and that they do not take bad smells, but for the rest, they can be a great investment, already that once you wash them, being able to do it in a conventional washing machine or by hand, as you prefer, they can be stored and used by another baby, without problems.
Shopping Guide: What You Should Know About Eco-Friendly Diapers
Ecological or reusable diapers represent a great economic saving for the parents of a baby, but also do not generate tons of waste that is almost impossible to recycle, as it happens with traditional disposable diapers. It is likely that you still do not know much information about this type of diaper, so in this section we will answer the most common questions about these products.
What is an Ecological Diaper and What are Its Advantages and Disadvantages?
The ecological diaper, like the disposable diapers that we all know, is a garment that aims to prevent urine and feces leakage in babies who have not yet learned to control their sphincters. Unlike disposable diapers, they are made with biodegradable materials, so it favors environmental care.
There is no doubt that eco-friendly diapers provide important benefits that more environmentally conscious parents will appreciate, but they will also be of great use to those who are more practical and supportive of saving. In the following table, we are going to present you the virtues they offer and their minimum drawbacks:
- They are easy to wash
- You save money by not having to use one per use
- You only have to buy them once
- Avoid diaper rash
- They are adjustable and adapt to the growth of your baby
- They allow your baby’s skin to breathe, so it will always be fresh
- Designs are usually in bright colors
- You do not depend on the shops
- Constant cleaning in the washing machine can be tedious
- They are not exactly cheap
- You cannot wear tight clothing
What are The Elements That Make up The Ecological Diaper?
Before choosing a specific model of ecological diaper for your baby, it is essential that you know in depth its main differences with the disposable, which is the most common baby garment in stores. Next, we are going to explain the parts that make up a reusable or ecological diaper:
- Cover or raincoat. It is the outer part, the underpants usually made with waterproof and breathable materials that allow air circulation, but prevent leakage and urine leakage. It is an adjustable piece that is machine washable for reuse.
- Absorbent. It is the inner part of the diaper and its main purpose is to absorb urine and feces. It’s just as reusable as the coverlet and can also be machine washed.
- Linings. They are not as essential as the blanket or absorbent, but they are very practical. They are usually made from biodegradable materials like bamboo and are like rectangular pieces of fabric that you put on the absorbent. They are very useful when the baby only “poops” because it will only be enough to throw the lining into the toilet.
What Types of Ecological Diapers are There on The Market?
Although it is difficult to believe, ecological diapers can take different forms and if you decide on them you must choose a model that is practical for your little one’s day to day. To make your choice easier, we offer you a list with the different types and their characteristics. Go for pencil and paper and take note!
- All in one or pocket system. The absorbent and the cover are joined in one piece. The absorbent part is inserted into a kind of pocket and it is necessary to wash both pieces after use, so they take longer to dry than if you only put one of them in the washing machine.
- All in two or two pieces. The cover and absorbent are purchased together, but they are separate pieces, although they are joined by various systems, such as buttons or brackets. There is the option of changing only the absorbent if the cover does not stain, but yes, it is quite difficult for both parts to be compatible if they are not from the same brand.
- Adjustable. In this case, a cover is needed, but the absorbent is in the form of a brief. They are ideal for the night because it is very difficult to leak and the exteriors or covers are bought separately. You don’t need to change the cover every time if it’s kept clean and dry.
- Refillable. It is a variant of the whole in two, but in this case a hole is left to introduce the absorbent inside an internal fabric. They can be washed independently, so it will dry faster. You can also use biodegradable and disposable absorbents.
- Linings or gauze. They are the ones that are used on a regular basis with newborns and consists of placing cotton or bamboo linings or gauze and then placing the cover. Special clamps are used to hook the lining to the outside and are the most economical.
What Materials are Ecological Diapers Made of?
Covers are usually made from a type of polyester, laminated polyurethane (PUL). This gives them the quality of being waterproof and breathable, the latter of great interest because it allows your little one to feel cool both in winter and summer. On the other hand, the absorbent materials have some advantages and disadvantages, as we see in the table:
Great absorption capacity (more or less twice that of cotton)
Low holding capacity. It is not advisable for atopic skin.
Resistant, breathable, economical and absorbent.
It wrinkles easily, it is not very elastic and it shrinks.
Biodegradable and more absorbent than cotton. Hypoallergenic, gentle and with antimicrobial properties.
Its price is slightly higher than other materials.
More absorbent than bamboo and cotton. Resistant and with great absorption capacity.
It is rougher than the previous ones.
Is It Worth Using Ecological Diapers?
Yes, without a doubt. Regardless of the economic savings and the benefits for the environment, children will learn beforehand to control their sphincters, according to what the specialists in this type of articles point out.
Children who use ecological diapers will notice the heaviness of urine and feces earlier than children with disposable diapers, since they do not perceive it with the same clarity.
What are the differences between an ecological diaper called “organic” and a classic disposable diaper?
On the shelves of stores, brands of organic or ecological diapers are multiplying without consumers really knowing what this term covers. What more (or rather less) than conventional disposable diapers?
Biodegradability of ecological layers. Keep in mind that a diaper is not biodegradable, despite the biodegradability rate displayed on some packaging. To date, there is also no recycling channel in France. Whether you use organic diapers or classic models, they will all end their life in the same recycling center.
Cellulose and bleaching. All layers contain cellulose. This component contributes to the absorption of liquids and solids. The brands of eco-friendly diapers mainly use cellulose from responsibly managed forests. They do not bleach it with chlorine like most manufacturers of conventional disposable diapers, but with oxygen.
Use of SAP. Intended to absorb the liquid to transform it into a gel cushion, SAP is present in all disposable diapers, organic or not. However, some models contain less than others. The use of this chemical is debated.
Use of plastic. Several brands of organic diapers use plastic derivatives in the manufacture of their products. There are thus polymers such as polypropylene or polyethylene.
Lack of lotion. On a conventional disposable diaper, the lotion (petroleum jelly) helps limit the risk of irritation. Most ecological diaper brands do not use it, denouncing its petrochemical origin.
Perfume. A priori, you will not find perfumes in organic diapers. Some manufacturers of conventional disposable diapers do not use either.
Packaging. Some brands of ecological diapers use biodegradable packaging such as Bio Babby or Pingoo for example.
Other chemicals. This is where it gets complicated. The list of chemicals used in the composition of diapers or having been found in trace amounts after analysis is long and difficult to decipher. Each brand has its own method. In principle, the brands of organic diapers are positioning themselves against 100% chemicals by relying on renewable raw materials.
The composition of diapers and their manufacturing process are still considered confidential by many manufacturers, whether they produce organic diapers or conventional diapers. This lack of transparency contributes to fuel consumer mistrust and does not go in the direction of sustainable development, which is nevertheless desired by all.
What Kind of Maintenance do Eco-Friendly Diapers Require?
It is clear that they must be washed over and over again to maintain impeccable ecological diapers, but there are some issues that you may not yet know and that it will be very useful to know in-depth. Next, we are going to give you some tips that will be very useful before starting to use this type of diaper:
- Wash before first use. This is a rule that should always be followed in order to increase the absorption capacity of the diaper.
Read the manufacturer’s instructions very well. This rule must be followed because the fabric may require some specific treatment before use.
- Soak soiled diapers before putting them in the washing machine. It is recommended to remove stains and odors, but above all you have to follow the manufacturer’s instructions because it is not valid for all cloth diapers.
- Biodegradable detergent and little quantity. Use a mild, biodegradable detergent, without additives such as bleaches or fabric softeners that can decrease its absorption. On the other hand, some specialists suggest reducing the amount of detergent by half to avoid residues in the diaper.
- Occasional chlorine. Bleach should not be used regularly unless your baby has had a skin infection and it is necessary. It must be a specific use because chlorine can deteriorate and damage the outer layers of the diaper.
- Wash separately. Ideally, you should put diapers in the washing machine separately from other items of clothing. Thus, they can be kept for a long time and can even be useful if you are expecting another baby.
- Wash again. If the diapers do not smell clean after a wash cycle, and following the manufacturer’s instructions, wash them again. Most likely, the diapers have been impregnated by some bacteria, which is why it is so important that they be washed again.
- Wash before first use. This is a rule that should always be followed in order to increase the absorption capacity of the diaper.
Eco-Friendly Diaper Purchase Criteria
If you have already decided on ecological diapers, first you will have to know a series of key aspects so that your online purchase is successful and you do not have the need to go to a conventional store. In this section we will present the most notable criteria before making your purchase.
- How many diapers do I need?
- Lots and packages
- User ratings and opinions
If you finally decided on eco-friendly diapers, you should consider the fact that they are highly absorbent, hypoallergenic and very soft for your baby’s delicate skin. As we already mentioned, cotton and bamboo are two of the best materials for their properties. In addition, these two materials will be very soft for your little one.
How Many Diapers Do I Need?
This question is one of the most common when we talk about ecological diapers. If you wash every day, 12 diapers will be enough, but this is not usual, so the average amount recommended is 24 diapers. If, in addition, you do not want to get a last-minute surprise and you do not want to wash as often if possible buy 36. Let’s see an estimation table by age:
|Baby’s age||Number of diapers|
|0-4 months.||Between 20 and 24 diapers.|
|5-10 months.||Between 16 and 20 diapers.|
|11 months to transition to children’s bathroom.||Between 12 and 16 diapers.|
The figures are only an estimate, but they are usually very well adapted to the needs of most babies. For example, when it is very baby it is logical that it uses more diapers because it does not ingest solids.
Ideally, choose an ecological one size diaper to serve you throughout your little one’s childhood until he learns to go to the bathroom on his own. In general, and as you can see in the Ranking products, you can find them from three kilos of weight, so you will not have a problem at this point.
Lots and Packages
Some products come in packages that include raincoats, absorbents and sometimes linings when they are made of bamboo. Do not overthink it and after analyzing the materials, and giving your approval, choose these packs because they represent a great economic saving and you will avoid many headaches. The only thing you need to check is that it is suitable for your baby.
User Ratings and Opinions
When it comes to products for children’s use, it is essential to analyze the ratings and opinions of other users who have already used the product you are going to buy. There may be some technical feature of interest exposed in a customer review, so ignore this aspect because it can be very helpful.
Not only will you get your child to learn to go to the bathroom sooner, but you will save a lot of money on disposable diapers and also generate less waste in the environment. The ecological diapers are a new formula in the 21st century for the most conscious people with the well-being of the planet.
Before making your purchase, it is important that you observe some fundamental criteria, such as how many diapers your little one will need before making the transition to the children’s bathroom or the material with which the product is made. They are essential points to buy the best ecological diapers according to your needs.
We have loved talking to you about today’s topic, share this article on your networks and leave us a comment. Until next time!